In 1951, the General Council of the Department of Seine-Maritime bought out the house to the descendants of the Vacquerie family, with its garden, whereas the annexe buildings that fell into ruins during World War II became the property of Villequier.
The museum was inaugurated in 1959, thanks to many donations from the heirs of the family. Both the Hugo and Vacquerie families are represented there because of the terrible accident that occurred on September 4, 1843, causing the drowning of the young couple Léopoldine Hugo and Charles Vacquerie, but also of an uncle and a nephew. All four were buried in the cemetery of Villequier, then Victor Hugo’s wife Adèle and their second daughter (whose name was also Adèle).
Nowadays, Auguste Vacquerie is well represented, thanks to an abundant documentation. Nevertheless, it was his father, Charles Isidore Vacquerie (1779-1843), who had the current house build which became a second home for the family, as they were living in Le Havre. The old man was a master mariner who had also become a prosperous ship owner. One of his sons, Charles, married Léopoldine Hugo, the famous writer’s daughter. But, the second son, who admired Victor Hugo, was the one who allowed the bond between the Hugo and Vacquerie families.